Thursday 7 January 2010

From the Christmas 09 to the New Year 10

Oh man, it’s been a long time since I last blogged (again). Miss me?? (dun vomit) Training/work, exploring both the Mio TV and Hubstation HD setup boxes, playing Uncharted 2 on PS3, and celebrations and outings here and there have kept me so busy that I neglected my dear little blog. I have completed Uncharted 2 and there are lesser celebrations at the moment (until Chinese New Year) so I guess I have a little spare time to blog heh. I think I shall blog about what I did during the Christmas and New Year period …

I have already talked about Mio TV in my previous post so let me now talk about the Hubstation HD setup box which I received recently. As mentioned in my previous post, I got the hubstation HD free for 1 year and 3 months free subscription of the HBO pak after being the first few fans who responded to Starhub’s fan offer on their facebook page. =) The Mio TV box is also free as I signed up for the early bird special (free Champions League, Europa League and Serie A for the rest of the season!) he he. I love free stuff! Anyways, it my first time using hubstation and like the Mio TV box, I love it! I like how I can easily record any show anytime I want, and watch another show while recording it. I also like how I can record by series and record HD content in addition to standard definition programmes. It’s so easy to use and definitely very useful for those working and constantly missing their favourite tv shows. I can even rewind live tv!! It is something like Tivo right? Pai seh I never use before. Don’t call me sua ku!

HBO HD is also really cool. It’s HBO in HD!!! Ha ha. All the shows you see on HBO are shown on HBO HD at the exact same time, only much clearer! All the movies look so gooood ….. except the super old ones heh. And yes, you can record the shows on the Hubstation HD =) No need to buy blue ray movies or ahem download stuff and waste disk space heh.

On to gaming .... I bought Uncharted 2 after selling 2 of my old games and I really like it! One of the best games on PS3 I feel. It’s been a long time since a game has kept me interested long enough to complete it lol. I played it on my new, super nice, LG W2486L monitor which I received recently (more about that next time) =) Since I have completed it, it’s time to sell it and get another game he he. What should I buy? Hmmm ….

Besides work, exploring Mio TV and Hubstation HD, playing Uncharted 2, I also had a Christmas BBQ with my UWA mates, watched a few movies, ate Sakae Sushi, played UFO catchers, and had some little drinking outing …

Photobucket
On most Christmas eves, I would usually stay at home and watch TV. I did something a little different this year … my UWA mates had a BBQ session at Pasir Ris Park on Chritmas eve. It was quite a last minute thing but luckily we managed to book a pit.

Everyone had to bring their own bbq item (potluck) and a gift to exchange. I made a poster for the event and posted it on Facebook events he he. We also had discussions there regarding food and stuff so as to avoid bringing the same food. Skali everyone bring hotdogs lol.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I ordered around 200 sticks of satay (my fav food of all time), lots of Otah, charcoal, fire starters, aluminium trays and some other bbq stuff from City Satay … great place to order from for lazy and car(less) guys like me. Fuss free, no need to think, just order and enjoy he he.

The satays and stuff arrived earlier than the planned bbq session starting time, so I went to the place early. My sis soon arrived and we sat at the BBQ pit and waited for the others to come. We didn’t want to start the bbq first out of courtesy …. erm no …. because we didn’t know how to start the fire lol. You know, I’m the kind of person who goes to a bbq just to eat and not cook. =P

Luckily for us and our noisy stomachs, Jun Wee arrived next and we found out that he is the bbq pro. We realised that we only had 1 thong for the food and no thongs for the charcoal, so poor Jun Wee had to use his hands to arrange the charcoal and use tissue papers to start light the fire starters. The BBQ would not be able to start without him man … thank you Master Chef. Luckily, back-up tongs arrived later, and we (okay Jun Wee) were able to add charcoals more easily.

So … besides the delicious satays, what other goodies were available at “The Christmas BBQ at the Pasir Ris from the PM to the AM”???

Photobucket

My sis brought stingrays and squids, Jun Wee and gf (now fiance :p) brought his mum’s specially marinated chicken wings and clams, Iska brought his home-cooked spicy fried rice. Wayne brought sweet potato, marshmallows and some beer, Weida and gf brought drinks, Shawn brought plates, cups and utensils, but was really late so we had to beg from other bbqers, Rayne and husband brought salad and some more beer and Ling Zhi brought Jelly dessert. There was one very important thing missing from the list of food …….. hotdogs!!! We had a discussion on Facebook to prevent everyone from bringing hotdogs and now we don’t even have a single hotdog lol. Is this the only bbq in the world without hotdogs?? The closest things we had to hotdogs were the Taiwan sausages brough by Darren. Only 2 packets though =P

Photobucket

We ate till 12 plus, wished each other Merry Christmas, and had the gift exchange session. I got a towel from Darren. I think I have the same set at home lol. We then tried to form words with the sparkers on the floor but failed miserably lol. Lucky we managed to take some cool looking shots with the help of Jun Wee (again). He adjusted some settings on my camera and we were able to take the pictures of the words “UWA XMAS 2009” formed by sparkers.

After that, we ate some more, drank some more and went home …. after packing the place up of course. Hope we can have some sort of gathering again next year. =)

Photobucket

The day after Christmas, I met up with shawn, Wayne and Iska after my training/work for a movie and chilling out session. Before the movie started, I continued my Sakae Sushi adventures by asking my friends to eat at the Sakae Sushi over at Citylink mall.

Photobucket

As usual we ordered chanwanmushi and drinks to start the eating session. Then we ate some red plates, fried tempura (Ebi), fried vegetables (Kakiage) and fried salmon. The main course was the Chicken Sukiyaki and some donburis (rice with food on top =P). It was my first time eating the Chicken version of the Sukiyaki (usually I eat the beef one), and I find that it tasted just as good as its beef version. The sweet soup is simply irresistible he he. It was a little weird eating at Citylink mall where lots of people are walking around though. I think if everyone were to order Sukiyaki and sit outside, it will attract lots of people to eat at Sakae. It smells so good.

According to the Sakae Sushi Facebook fanpage, they are going to come up with a new chawanmushi called the Ikura Chawanmushi!! I’m so going to try that when it comes out in the new menu.

Photobucket

After Sakae, we went to the UFO catcher paradise (dunno the name of the place - the place with lots of UFO catchers) at Marina Square and I saw a very interesting UFO catcher heh. It’s called Robo Catcher.

Photobucket

Instead of your usual UFO catcher way of “catching” the stuff toys, you are given some time to control a cute robot to lift the toys out of the barricade. You can try to lift the toys up as many times as you want within the time limit. In case you are interested, I took a video of the machine when Shawn was playing lol.


I think we spent more than 10 bucks on Robo Catcher and won nothing lol. In fact, I think I wasted around 20 dollars at that place without getting anything lol.

After wasting money at UFO catchers, we went to watch Sherlock Holmes. I was really tired by then and slept through half of the show =P The rest loved the show though, so I guess it’s my fault for being too sleepy. After the movie and my sleep, we went for some drinking talk cock session.

I had another drinking talk cock session with my sis and Wayne on Wednesday and spent New Year’s Eve at home with dad, mum and kimi counting down (as usual). Watched the countdown show on channel 5 and jumped around with coins in my pocket when it was 12am, 1st January 2010 for good money luck. I also ate some noodles as usual for long life. I know I’m very pan tang (superstitious). At least I managed to see some of the fireworks from my house even though it’s very far away from Marina. I also got to hear some nice songs from Da Mouth. One the songs Na Qu, has been stuck in my head for the past week man …

In case you missed it ...


I like the song and the dance sia =) Get it get it on get it get it on ..... na qu na qu na qu .....

On the very first day of the year 2010, I went to watch a Hokkien concert with my mum and Shawn.

Photobucket

The concert had actors from 2 of the Taiwan hokkien dramas on channel 8, Love 爱 and Unforgettable Memories 意难忘, which are very popular with aunties and uncles he he. I don’t watch the dramas but just accompany mother la lol. Some of them sang really well, some not so good, but I’m sure my mum and all the other uncles and aunties enjoyed the concert he he. For those who have watched the show or have someone in your house watching Taiwanese dramas, I’m sure you will find this song familiar ….


I ask sky I ask sky!!


It’s the main theme song of Love!! The guy who sang it was really good and it sounded exactly like the version I hear on TV every week! That was my highlight of the concert he he. At the end of the concert, everyone got on stage sang the song again lol.

Okay okay, I shall stop here for now (time to sleep!) … in my next post, I think I will tell you more about the really cool LG 24 inch monitor I received from recently. So big, so slim, so beautiful …..

P.S: I still love my HTC Hero!! Please download Handcent if you have an android phone .... its awesome!!

(Images Taken From: Katherine’s digital camera, my digital camera, my HTC Hero, Sakae Sushi Facebook)