Friday 28 August 2009

My Singapore Idol Favourites at the Moment

The time has come for me to once again reveal my idol favourites. This time I will announce my favourites for this season’s Singapore Idol! I was really sick since Tuesday (high fever and cough) and had lots of medicine to take. Sorry if anyone missed me. =p
I have to take a total of 6 medications (5 different kinds of tablets & 1 cough syrup) after my meals, some 2 times, some 3 times a day and they made me very drowsy. I was so drowsy that I actually watched an entire episode of Growing Up without changing the channel on Tuesday. Lucky I slept a lot in the afternoon on Wednesday and managed to gather enough strength to watch the fourth episode of Singapore Idol, which revealed the top 24. Episode 4 was the most drama mama episode so far and I love it. Just like American Idol, I love to see the emotions showed by the contestants when they were told they are in the top 24. I love the idol first: duet self composition round. Some of the songs by the contestants sounded really good (I think some of them already have some original songs written before this round).

Now that we know who the top 24 are, I can reveal who my favourites are based on what the producers want us to see on TV, reading some information on the net and watching Youtube videos. I am usually very good at choosing favourites who will go far as I think I represent the average voting viewer lol. Some of my favourites in American and Singapore (okay I just realized, why not Singaporean ah) Idol early in the competition include, Bo Bice, Blake Lewis, David Cook, Adam Lambert, Sylvester Sim, Hardy Mirza, Daphne Khoo and Jasmine Tye. Although there are some (I shan’t mention) which I support early who went out in the first voting rounds, I’m usually very good with this ….. really he he.

So, without further ado, it is now time for me to reveal the 3 Singapore Idol contestants who are my favourites at the moment ... (they usually end up being my favourites for the rest of the season)

(In alphabetical order)

1) Charlene Torres-Tan



Charlene Torres-Tan in Fernando Torres’s jersey - From her Facebook Fan Page


She is sweet looking and has the girl next door feel. She seems friendly on her Facebook fan page too. I’m sure lots of other guys will agree with me and vote for her if she performs well. If you are wondering why she has “Torres” as her middle name … It’s not because she is madly in love with Fernando Torres and added his last name to her name. The reason why she has a Spanish sounding middle name is because she is mixed. According the her Facebook fan page, her mother is Filipino and it is a tradition for them to adopt their mother’s surname before their Chinese surname. It seems like she is a Liverpool and Torres supporter though from the picture above. I guess lots of Liverpool supporters will support her heh.

Sorry I can’t find any videos of her on Youtube. The only videos I can find are of Fernando Torres heh.




Maybe her supporters can modify and sing the Fernando Torres song when cheering for her.

Charlene Torres-Tan’s Facebook Fan Page


2) Kelly-Mae Sta Maria



Kelly-Mae, already looking like a star - From her Facebook Fan Page


She got into the top 100 in Australian Idol which I’m sure is really difficult as they have a population of 20 plus million there. According to her Facebook fan page, she has won some awards and in the process of recording her own album. She is married to an Australian husband who would learn how to make Char Kway Teow for her and fly over to Singapore to support her… so sweeeet. I don’t think being married will affect the number of votes for her as seen in last season’s American Idol (Married Kris Allen won), as long as she performs well. Love her voice and style.

Check out this video of her on Youtube ...



Kelly-Mae Sta Maria’s Facebook fan page


3) Syltra Lee



Syltra with her band Aurigami (cool name) - From Aurigami's Facebook Fan Page


Rocker chick Syltra is in a band called Aurigami and appeared on Live and Loaded in episode 5. She has lots of videos on youtube, some covers some originals. Visit her youtube page to listen to her version of songs like Poker Face, If I Ain’t Got You and Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. Her original songs are really nice too. I think her band performs regularly at Acid Bar, not sure if they do now with her idol commitments. I’m sure she will be one of the more creative contestants and will make the songs she sings her own.

Umbrella & Single Ladies Medley


Can’t find her facebook fan page there is a Aurigami fan page though. (*Update: I found her fan page! Syltra Lee fan page)

Sorry ... unlike last season’s American Idol, there are no guys in my 3 Singapore Idol favourites heh.

Contestant who did not make it whom I will miss: Miss “I not Ah Lian” Rachel Gan. Too bad she screwed up the last audition.

Just like last season’s American Idol, I have compiled the top 24's fan, group or personal page (if there is no fan page) on Facebook specially for you. =)

Girls
Charlene Torres-Tan – I support
Fathin Amira – I support
Frances Maria – I support
Gabrielle Ferdinands – I support
Jannah Shaharuddin – I support
Mae Sta Maria – I support
Malaque Mahdaly – I support
Nurul Huda – I support
Samantha Lee – I support
Syltra Lee – I support
Sylvia Ratonel – I support
Tabitha Nauser – I support

Guys
Benjamin Chow – I support
Charles Wong – I support
Douglas Wong – I support
Duane Ho – I support
Farhan Shah – I support
Jonathan Cheok – I support
Justin Jap – I support
MJ Kuok – I support
Ryan Lee – I support
Theodore Teow – I support

Mine
Boliaosia – I support (=P)

Blogs to read if you are mad about Singapore Idol:
The official Singapore Idol 2009 Blog
The unofficial Singapore Idol blog aka Summerr in the Shower

Both have lots of juicy news and information on the show and the contestants. They upload the latest episodes too!

Other sites you want to go to ..
Singapore Idol Official site
Singapore Idol Official Facebook Group
Singapore Idol Official Twitter Page
Hardwarezone EDMW Singapore Idol 3 Discussion Thread

To carry on with my Idol tradition, I will try my best to give my “expert” predictions after every round. If you have read my American Idol predictions, you will find out that they are pretty accurate. Okay lah I think around 60% correct …. quite good right? For the piano shows, the results will be out 2 hours after the show, that will make my predictions a little more challenging, but I will try my best. Don’t worry, I won’t cheat and will make an effort to blog my prediction within an hour after the performance.

The first half of the top 24 performs next Wednesday!! Syltra Lee is in it!! Go Syltra!! You will have at least one call from me heh. It will be the first time we actually hear some of them sing … maybe some will impress me so much that I will change my favourites he he.

Who are your favourites??


(Images Taken From: My iPhone, Official Singapore Idol site, Charlene’s Facebook Fan Page, Kelly-Mae’s Facebook Fan Page, Aurigami’s Facebook Fan Page)